Re: tonneau

To: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>, "Paul Root" <proot@iaces.com>
Subject: Re: tonneau
From: "Denise Thorpe" <xyzabcde@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 20:3:19 -0400
Hi all,

Good upholstery shops, like Upholstery Fabric Outlet (UFO) in National
City, CA, have zipper by the foot.  It's under $1 per foot no matter how
big it is and whether it's metal or plastic.  The zipper pull and end stops
are sold separately and they're each under $1.  With a tonneau cover, you
wouldn't need a zipper stop because the vinyl would stop the pull.

I have a small upholstery sewing machine, but it's a nightmare to use, so
if I'm sewing fewer than four layers of vinyl or leather, I just use my
little Elna Lotus or my old black Singer.  On a tonneau cover zipper, any
old sewing machine should do.  If you can walk a straight line, you can
probably sew a straight line.  And if you can put a zipper in, you should
be able to make your own tonneau cover.

UFO also has all of the hardware for tonneau covers, plus they have seat
belt webbing, piping, headliner material, foam, leather, canvas...sigh...
There's not much I miss about CA, but the list includes Roberto's
drive-thru, my machinist, and UFO.  Oh yeah, and my relatives.

Denise

Paul Root said:

> I'd part with mine, but you wouldn't want it. :-)
>
> The zipper is broken. I took it to a good shoe repair shop (the one that
> handled all repairs for the Frozen Four Hockey teams). But he said that
> he wouldn't have the right kind of zipper. I've called a couple of Auto
> Upholstery shops, and got site unseen phone estimates of $65 to $85 just
> for the big zipper, and if I'm going to do one, I may as well do all
three.

> I saw a tonneau on Ebay, last week go for $110.
>
> I'm still thinking of repairing. I might try my hand at sewing, if I can
> find a zipper. And get a lesson or two on a sewing machine.
>
> Paul
> '77B

--- Denise Thorpe