mgb ride height/lopsidedness

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: mgb ride height/lopsidedness
From: Marc <smarc@abs.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 01:45:36 -0400
I just spent 14 hours straight in my garage; replaced a rusty gas tank,
and my very worn out leaf springs and tossed in rebuilt shocks and new
shock links. Previously, the driver side rear sat so low that it was
difficult to get the tire on or off as the body interfered.

So, the passenger side looks great! The driver side is also much
higher now, but definately lopsided. I kind of expected this, based
upon reading of others' experiences, but I was hoping for a
better result! It seems this is a pretty common occurence, again
based on reading various mgb web pages.

After taking a tape measure from the ground to the edge of the wheel
arch, exactly in the center or the wheel, my mgb sits 24 inches on the
passenger side rear, and 22 1/2 inches on the driver side rear.

This lopsidedness irritates me enough that I will probably address
it. I seem to recall reading somewhere that you can get longer
U bolts, and shim between the spring and the axel, or some such.

So, I was wondering, what kind of ride height is "normal", and
what experiences you may have had trying to correct the lopsided
stance the car takes?

--
Marc Siegel, ABSnet Internet Services  eMail: smarc@abs.net
Baltimore, MD  http://www.abs.net      voice: 410/361-8160