crossmember bushes

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: crossmember bushes
From: "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 23:07:20 -0500
So I spent some quality time with the B tonight after the
boys went to bed. I've been stewing all winter about doing
kingpins to solve the handling problem I have.

So I jacked up the front and put stands underneath. I know the
right shock is empty or bad, so I start on the left. Looking
at everything and moving the rotor side to side. No slop in
the pivot, no binding, everything seems fine. Ok, I need to
replace the inner and outer bushes, but that was already planned.

I replace a grease fitting, and lube it up. Put the wheel back
on and go to the other side. It looks/moves the same. I try to
get some fork oil in the shock and pretty well fail. I wasn't
going to disassemble tonight. I have not cotter pins, etc.  Bushes
are similar on this side.

Then I notice, there doesn't appear to be a bush between the cross-
member and the frame. Put a screwdriver in the slot and I can move
it. Not good.

So, how hard is this. Drop the cross member down, put the bushes on
and back up? Any tricks? How much time is this? I don't think I have
another free weekend, well, hmm, ever. :-)

Anything thing else I should look for?

Paul.
77B

--
Paul T. Root            - CCSA, CCSE, CCNA
600 Stinson Blvd, Fl 1S         PAG: +1 (877) 693-7155