Re: 69 MGB Roadster with DGV setup

To: MGALUVR@aol.com
Subject: Re: 69 MGB Roadster with DGV setup
From: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 09:15:53 -0500
MGALUVR@aol.com wrote:

> I am looking at the possible purchase of a 69 MGB roadster here in my area.
> The asking price seems reasonable to me, and since I sold my 79 RB MGB last
> year I have been looking for a chrome bumpered car to take its place. One
> thing about this car that I am not that familiar with is the carburetion
> setup it has. Its either a Weber DCOE or DGV (whats the difference?). It has

The DCOE is side draft. The DGV is downdraft.

> only one carb and instead of a standard air cleaner it has dual ram intake
> pipes. The carb setup is really nice looking, as the intake manifold is

This sounds like a DCOE.

> chrome and has 4 pipes going from the carb into the head. My wife is probably

Four pipe? Does this have a Pierce aluminum head? Is it a crossflow head?

> going to drive this car more than me, as I putt around in the 62 MGA. Is this
> carb setup practical for street driving, or would I be better off removing it
> and going with the original setup? Any help will be appreciated. The car

That pretty much depends on how the carb is tuned and jetted. Many don't
  like Weber's because out of the box, they aren't really setup for the
MG. And tuning and rejetting the carb isn't something many are good or
knowledgable at. Buying a bunch of jets for trial and error is expensive.

> itself seems to be in pretty good shape, no appreciable rust anywhere that I
> can see. The interior is also quite good, and the car has good chrome and
> wire wheels. It has a hardtop, and a softtop that is not so great. The only
> thing about this vehicle that really is a grey area to me is the carb setup.

I'd say it's a comfort issue. With an MGA, you probably already know
some about SU's. The question is, do you want to learn about DCOEs.

--
Paul T. Root                    E/Mail: proot@iaces.com
600 Stinson Blvd, Fl 1S         PAG: +1 (877) 693-7155