Re: Steering question(long reply)

To: "Henry D. Reynolds" <hdr@jump.net>, <mghirsch@netzero.net>,
Subject: Re: Steering question(long reply)
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 16:07:24 +0100
I've never put a strain-gauge on it but neither at a standstill or moving
have I ever noticed a 'sudden' increase in steering load moving from the
straight-ahead to full-lock, it is always progressive.  A sudeden increase
at about 1/4 turn would imply to me that the rach has worn and someone has
fiddled with the shims to remove play in the straight-ahead position.
Slacken off the cap securing the shims, and if it stops fighting back at 1/4
turn (even though you are quite likely to get play in the straight-ahead)
then that could well be your answer.