Brake master cylinder bad

To: "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake master cylinder bad
From: "smarc" <smarc@abs.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 10:03:44 -0400
Well, since I'm supposed to run a rallye Sunday, true to form my BMC is
calling it quits. Drove the car last night, and there was a noticeable
travel in the brake pedal before the brakes began to engage. Then I noticed
the brake lights were on after I took my foot off the brake. Spring on the
pedal is good, but a toe behind it nudged the pedal up enough to turn it
off. Pump the pedal, and it comes up tight.

So to all those who advised me to do the BMC when I redid the brakes a few
weeks ago; you were right... (bummer)

I've never rebuilt a master cylinder before, (73 MGB), so don't know if it's
easy, or not. I was thinking about just replacing it, but a quick look at
the Moss catalog disabused me of that notion ($180.00). So now I'm thinking
about a rebuilt, but was wondering who to use. At this point, apple
hydraulic is off my list of vendors. Of course, I could just get a rebuild
kit. What do most of you do, rebuild by yourself, or replace?

This is probably an opportune time to do the clutch hydraulics as well, a
job I have been putting off. The slave probably needs to be changed, and if
I do that, I better figure on doing the master. Have a new clevis pin and
push rod to replace a worn set. Probably have to have both pedals welded and
redrilled... Always something...

--
Marc Siegel, ABSnet Internet Services  eMail: smarc@abs.net
Baltimore, MD  http://www.abs.net      voice: 410/361-8160