Re: Brake master cylinder bad

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brake master cylinder bad
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 11:04:34 EDT
In a message dated 4/30/02 10:07:34 AM Eastern Daylight Time, smarc@abs.net
writes:

> I've never rebuilt a master cylinder before, (73 MGB), so don't know if it's
> easy, or not. I was thinking about just replacing it, but a quick look at
> the Moss catalog disabused me of that notion ($180.00). So now I'm thinking
> about a rebuilt, but was wondering who to use. At this point, apple
> hydraulic is off my list of vendors. Of course, I could just get a rebuild
> kit. What do most of you do, rebuild by yourself, or replace?

- - - - - - - - - - - -

The master cylinder sometimes starts to leak after rebuilding the rest of the
brake system because the rest of the system all of a sudden is tighter.  The
pressure has to go somewhere, so the weak link starts to leak.

The best MC rebuilds are done by White Post Restorations.
(www.whitepost.com)  It will be as expensive as a new MC from Moss, but it
will not leak, and it has a lifetime guarantee.

If you want to still make the rallye, go to Advance Auto and buy a rebuilt MC
from them.  They are usually about $80, but go on sale for around $40.  Save
up to get your other one rebuilt properly, because the rebuilt for cheep
probably won't last very long.

As far as rebuilding it yourself, I don't recommend it for the dual MCs.
It's a pain in the A$$ to get them open!  Earlier ones are much easier.  And
if you don't home it properly, it can leak again.  White Post will resleeve
your MC with brass that will never rust.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'75 Midget "The Project"