RE: weber question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: weber question
From: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 12:53:22 -0500
> ZS:
> + This is the carburator equivalent of a smog pump.
>    It worked <almost> okay, when new.
> + They wear quickly causing vacuum leaks.
> + Good candidate for an SU or Weber conversion.
> + A worn ZS is worse than a mismatched Weber
>    DGV.

Being in the situation where I'd finally like to ditch the ZS on my '79, I'm
wanting to get a set of SUs.  For a tad more than the Weber kits, the usual
suspects are selling the SU HS6 1 3/4" kits.  This looks attractive, since
it's brand new carbs, with the linkage, manifold, etc. included.

However, is this going to be overkill on an otherwise stock late engine?
Am I better off sourcing a used manifold and linkage, and then getting new
or rebuilt standard carbs?

I'm also curious what people's experience has been with fitting dual SUs on
late cars with regards to emission testing.  I have to get tested, but for
older cars it's just an idle test.  With my current setup (ZS carb, no cat,
and air pump feeding the ports in the head), I've always passed with no
problem.