Re: Carpeting and interiors

To: geoffeg@sin.sloth.org, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Carpeting and interiors
From: Barrie Robinson <barrier@bconnex.net>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 10:56:06 -0400
Geoffeg,

I got a complete leather MGB GT interior from Prestige in UK for about
US$1,000 (that is everyr\thing except headliner)  so their carpet sets may
be reasonable too.  I found their quality excellent - better than
Moss.  Headliners are a different matter!  I went to the people who did our
settees and they had swatches on automotive stuff.  I picked a matching
headliner -sexy! not vinyl, with foam backing and matching plain vinyl for
posts etc (I have a GT).  Cost of material was Cdn$87 and I paid the chap
Cdn$40 to cut new hardboard trim for the back of the GT and stick material
on headliner board thing.  You HAVE to use correct glue on headliner
otherwise it falls off.  Paying the Cdn$40 was cheaper than buying the glue
and other materials!!!  So new headliner cost was about US$85

At 08:47 AM 5/6/02 -0400, geoffeg@sin.sloth.org wrote:
>Yes, I'm sure that this topic has been touched upon before but I can't find
>anything in the archives that answers all my questions.
>
>I'm about to order carpeting for my 69 BGT. The whole interior needs to be
>redone, almost. There is currently no carpet, the door panels are in good
>shape, the headliner needs to be redone, the foam and covers on the seats
>need to be redone. My plan was to do one thing at a time over a few months,
>trying to smooth out the damage to my wallet. However, if I find a great
>deal on a kit or something, I'll spring for it all at once.
>
>The first thing I wanted to get done was the carpet. I'm trying to decide
>which carpet set to buy from what vendor. As far as price goes, it looks
>like ProperMG has the upper hand. $339 for the Original and $229 for the
>Deluxe. I would have thought that the Deluxe would have been the better of
>the two but the Original has the molded transmission tunnel. The other
>possiblities are Moss, which seems to be the most expensive and Victoria
>British which doesn't seem very exciting.
>
>So does anyone have any experience with ProperMG's carpet? I'm wondering why
>it's the cheapest. I'm looking for good, quality carpet but I don't mind
>saving a few bucks if I can.
>
>Geoffeg

Regards
Barrie