Gas streaming into absorption canister

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Gas streaming into absorption canister
From: Robert Guinness <rjglaw@swbell.net>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 18:04:08 -0500
When I tried to start my 77 MGB for the first time after acquiring it, a
stream of fuel was being pumped into the absorption canister through the
hose from the carb to the canister (the small one connected to the top
of the canister, closest to the carb).  The car did not start of course,
but it does crank and turn over strong and well.  I have good oil
pressure.  The car has a single ZS carb.  I replaced the gas tank, fuel
pump, fuel filters, fuel hoses, spark plugs, coil, fuse box, engine oil,
engine filter, etc. upon acquiring the car because it had been stored
for 16 years.  I have not rebuilt the carb yet, however.  I wanted to
see if it would start first before tinkering with the carb.  Here is my
dumb question.  Is this a problem that a carb rebuild will fix  --  or
do I have deeper problems I should be exploring?

Dumb question #2:  I have a white/brown wire that has obviously broken
from a connector to the fuse box.  It appears that one of the connectors
on the front side (to the left when you face the fuse box from the
drivers side) should have two white/brown wires going into a single
connector.  The Bentley wiring diagram shows three white/brown wires
going into the second from the top fuse bracket.  However, there are two
separate blades coming out of that fuse bracket Front and back).  Each
one has a single white/brown wire connected to it.  Which one should the
loose wire be connected to?  The front or the back one?  Does it matter?

Thanks

Robert Guinness
77 MGB (cranky)
75 Midget