Re: Options for lowering CO (emissions)

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Options for lowering CO (emissions)
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 16:10:48 -0700
Hmmm, my 66 (when it was still required to be tested) used to pass the CA
idle (1200rpm max) and 2500 rpm tests, and it had no smog gear at all. The
CO limits were 5.5% and 4.5%, respectively, but my last test report from 97
showed me at 3.8 and 1.8, so it was in the ballpark for your requirement. So
I would think it's possible.

Besides the steps you mention, my strategy was to go to a drive-in test
facility that was 10-12 miles away, so the car was good and warm, and had
had a blast of freeway driving since last using the choke. If there was a
waiting line, I'd shut it off so it wouldn't be idling for an extended
period. I'd also run premium fuel. There are probably some other tuning
tricks, but I haven't had to go through this for some time (thank goodness).

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149