Re: rattlin' an rollin'

To: MGS <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: rattlin' an rollin'
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 01:12:08 +0930
Aubrey Schneider wrote:

> Dear Listers,
> There have been a few anecdotes from various listers covering long
> distance drives.
> In these accounts, I read of speeds of 75-80 mph and am amazed.
>
> When I achieve 70 miles an hour my B starts to do "the heebie jeebies."

I have spent money on my suspension (it is all V8 and tougher, nolathane
bushings, etc.) for a little 4 banger but it remains pretty much
standard configuration (no tube shocks) and is really, really rock solid
at 85+ mph - under acceleration or heavy braking.

So without suggesting competition-type expense and effort I still think
you probably have some problems that need seeing to.

Wheel alignment and suspension - hey even check your engine mounts and
other bolts that hold the front end together.

The only thing I still noticedin my 'B was the front end getting lighter
than I liked at those speeds which made sharp positional changes (on the
track or lane changes and passing big trucks when you pull out of their
slipstream on the roads) feel less stable than I liked.  The front
spoiler actually did make a noticable difference here with the steering
more positive and whole front end not so light.

I remember doing 100mph in a late seventies Ford Capri, the one with the
long nose that would take a drop-in v6/8 but this one had a 4.  You
almost felt the front wheels leaving the ground the steering was so
light - and at 100mph that is scarey.

Luckily our little cars are balanced far better than that.

--
Eric
'68MGB MkII