Assistance with front A-arm bushings on MGA?

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Assistance with front A-arm bushings on MGA?
From: Steve Morris <MGA1500@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 20:29:55 -0400
List,

I've got one side if the front suspension torn apart on the MGA, and I am
replacing the A-arm (wishbone) split bushings with the one piece MGB V8
bushings. Anyone know how this works? The old bushings had the nut and
washer snugged up against the rubber bushing, and it looked like the
bushing rotated on the pivot shaft.

The V8 bushing has a steel inner sleeve, so it must rotate freely around
the pivot shaft? I would guess I run the nut in until it binds the V8
bushing steel sleeve, and then back it off to the next slot on the
castleated nut? If this steel sleeve rotates freely on the pivot shaft,
then it needs greased, as well. The all rubber bushings were obviously
not greased.

I was pleased to find that the hole where the A-arms attach to the lower
trunnion were not elongated, so I won't have to get new ones...at least
not on the driver's side.

As badly worn as the outside of both front tires are, I expected to find
something worn pretty badly. Instead, the holes are still round, and the
bushings were in good shape. This must indicate that there was a wheel
misalignment. To wear both outsides, it seems there is too much toe-in,
which would in effect, cause the tires to plow their way along on the
outside edges, or too much negative camber. I sure don't see where camber
is even adjustable. Have I missed something? I didn't look at toe-in
before tearing things apart, but I will when I'm done. I have not made
any adjustments to the tie rods.

I am also replacing the splined front hubs, and my four new Dunlop SP 20
tires arrived from Tire Rack yesterday. Brake pads look as good as new,
so I should be all set up front. I just hope I get this all figured out
and back together before Easton, so any timely suggestions are more than
welcome.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve Morris     Avon, Ohio