6x9 cutout solution

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: 6x9 cutout solution
From: "Scott Hower" <HowerSL@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 22:48:58 -0400
Sorry if I'm a bit late with this, but with the the digest delay, work,
midnight feedings and diaper changes...

Anyway, a PO of my B also cut up the rear bulkhead to fit a pair of 6x9s.  I
added a CD player and fit some speakers to fill the void.  Being the
anal-retentive-type, I carpeted the boot.  But the hacked-up look of that
panel always bugged me.  What to do...

For about $5 and an hour of labor, I made a false back out of 3/4in
particleboard and fit it parallel to the bulkhead.  I relocated the boot
lamp to the false back.  Velcro strips on the speaker magnets hold it snug.
A photo is worth a thousand words:

before:  http://home.att.net/~howersl/mg/trunk.jpg
after:   http://home.att.net/~howersl/mg/trunk1.jpg
after2:  http://home.att.net/~howersl/mg/trunk2.jpg

WARNING: I used one of those cheap snap-the-blade-off-utility-knives to make
a template out of cardboard.  Being the anal-retentive-type, I had the blade
extended to get a *really* close fit around the boot hinge when the blade
snapped.  This stunt cost me a midnight trip to the emergency room for a
tetnous shot and 11 stitches to sew the tip of my finger back on.   A year
later and I am just now regaining feeling.   Be careful out there :-)

--Scott