Speedo calibration bust!!!

To: "Mgs@autox.team.net" <Mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Speedo calibration bust!!!
From: James Schulte <schultejim@prodigy.net>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 22:38:48 -0700
Listers,
Sent my 1000 Smith Speedo for my 78B to Niosenger's 5 weeks ago to have
it calibrated.  Got a call on answering machine to call.  Did that this
morning and to my total surprise, they can't calibrate it.  Dan said
that the late speedos have cheap plastic gears and they can't be fixed.
I have a 73 engine and O/D in my 78B.  When I did the rolling test he
recommended, counting the turns the speedo cable makes with a paper clip
attached, it came out really high.  As in 19 and 1/4 revolutions.  He
said it should have been around 14 and some.    How could it be so far
off?  I have 185/70 R14 Firestone tires on rothstyle wheels.  The speedo
reads 80 when I'm actually doing about 60 mph. Is the gearing in the O/D
that far off?   Any suggestions?
Jim
78B for sale
70B