Re: Speedo calibration bust!!!

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Speedo calibration bust!!!
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 16:40:28 -0700
That's a different size speedo... it wouldn't fit in your dash. I think the
gear trick would be a lot easier -- Moss shows a 20 and a 21 tooth pinion
for this application, so you have a choice. I think Skye's site has a chart
of speedo variants. A long time ago we had a correspondence regarding the
effect of different pinions, and calculated some possibilities. But I'm
afraid we didn't consider your case -- we both have 66 Bs.

At least, I don't think you have to dismantle the tranny -- it just goes in
where the speedo cable inserts.

on 5/21/02 6:43 PM, James Schulte at schultejim@prodigy.net wrote:

> Listers
> Does anyone have a 1250 speedo off a 1967B laying around they would be
> willing to part with?   Has anyone tried this move to rectify the problem?
> Jim
>
> Larry Hoy wrote:
>
>> All cars after 1973 had 1000 tpm speedos.  So afer 1973 they used the
>> gears at the transmission to compensate for OD or Non-OD cars.  Your 73
>> OD was set up for a 1280 TPM speedo.  It would be easy to swap 73 speedo
>> for the 78 speedo...if they were the same size.  So you could look for a
>> 1280 speedo from a 1967 car.
>>
>> There are some transmission speedo gear issues you could deal with but I
>> don't have all that information off the top of my head.  Perhaps someone
>> else does.
>>
>> Good luck.
>>
>> Larry Hoy
>>

>>> Listers,
>>> Sent my 1000 Smith Speedo for my 78B to Niosenger's 5 weeks
>>> ago to have it calibrated.  Got a call on answering machine
>>> to call.  Did that this morning and to my total surprise,
>>> they can't calibrate it.  Dan said that the late speedos have
>>> cheap plastic gears and they can't be fixed. I have a 73
>>> engine and O/D in my 78B.  When I did the rolling test he
>>> recommended, counting the turns the speedo cable makes with a
>>> paper clip attached, it came out really high.  As in 19 and
>>> 1/4 revolutions.  He
>>> said it should have been around 14 and some.    How could it be so far
>>> off?  I have 185/70 R14 Firestone tires on rothstyle wheels.
>>> The speedo reads 80 when I'm actually doing about 60 mph. Is
>>> the gearing in the O/D
>>> that far off?   Any suggestions?
>>> Jim
>>> 78B for sale