RE: oil pressure guage

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>, "Tim Economu" <economu@whidbey.com>
Subject: RE: oil pressure guage
From: "Denise Thorpe" <xyzabcde@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 14:3:53 -0400
Tim Economu said:

> Hi Kevin, David and James:
>
> All of this talk of oil pressure gauge's makes me think back to the day my
> wife got out our Benz wagon with a skirt covered in jet black oil. (yes a
> diesel engine oil is the blackest you have ever seen!!) Seems that the
> mechanical oil gauge had sprung a leak at the gauge itself!! Turned out to
> be a defect inside the gauge, and made a huge mess of the carpets and
> upholstery, not to mentioned ruined a dress!! You should have seen the
look
> on her face when the hot oil began spraying all over the car!!
> Tim Economu
> 1969 MGBGT with electrical oil sender
> (sold the Benz, so now have Honda Accord with idiot light)

A long time ago, I knew someone who increased the oil pressure in his MGA
to 90 lbs by grinding away part of the oil pump and then the oil pressure
gauge sprayed the interior.  Luckily, tightening the connector to the back
of the gauge fixed that.

The oil pump in my '67B is modified this way (80 lbs) and I've wanted to do
this to other pumps, but I'd have to dismantle my car to look at the pump
and see how it was done.  Kinda makes me wish I'd looked last time I was
rebuilding the engine.  This pump has been in three engines now.  Does
anyone have the procedure for this or can tell me how to do it?  I know it
involves a Dremel tool so this could be a popular procedure. ;-)

Denise

--- Denise Thorpe
---