Re: How to set timing on a TD with an Ignitor

To: bobmgtd@insightbb.com
Subject: Re: How to set timing on a TD with an Ignitor
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 09:48:48 -0400
Bob,
  You can time the TD dynamically, with a strobe timing light, just as
with the MGB. Technique is similar.
   First, establish which distributor is in the car.  There are different
advance curves.
   Stu Keen forwarded to me advance curves for several distributors. I
believe he found this table in a Blower book, but am not certain of its
original source.  In a back issue of TSO is a table of advance curves,
which could be used as a check on this table.
   40048                36-30   @4000
   40152                17-21   @2000
   40368                19-23   @2300
   40367                22-26   @3000
   40441                18-22   @3000
  Then you need to work out on the crankshaft pulley the degree that you
want to aim for.  Circumference in inches / 360 will give an fractional
inch measure for each degree, so you can measure from the notch and make
a new mark, either with paint or a sharp triangular file.
Bob