Re: [MG-MGB] New wiring installation

To: <MG-MGB@yahoogroups.com>, "mg list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [MG-MGB] New wiring installation
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 15:09:25 +0100
No harm in that.

When pulling the old harness out from the cockpit side of the firewall you may
find it helpful to tape up some of the side branches in the engine compartment
to the main run in such a way that you do not end up trying to pull a big
thickness through at some points.  Perhaps more important when installing the
new loom as damage to the taping will be more of an issue.  On the same theme
put some split cable sheathing round both the holes in the firewall before
pulling-in to protect the new loom.  Maybe not so much of an issue with a 67,
but definitely one on a 1980 model with its much thicker harness.

Before re-connecting the battery wire an old headlamp filament (or two or
three all in parallel) in place of the battery ground cable.  That way if you
have any shorts you will not cook your new loom but light the headlamps
brightly.  Also useful for initial checking of all the circuits except
cranking.  Not that trying to crank will hurt anything with the lamps
connected, but it will look like a full short - which is pretty-well what a
starter motor is.

Don't finally re-install the dash until you are sure everything works.  And
before cranking, make sure you have the oil pressure and temp gauges (assuming
mechanical) connected.

Because the bullets are only crimped and not welded (like the spades) or even
soldered, and because the conditions are so advers up front for electrical
connections, in each front lighting bullet both on the new loom and the old
tails from the lighting units themselves drill a conical indentation in the
open end of the bullet until you can see both shiny brass (bullet) and shiny
copper (wire) then fill the indentation with solder.  Put some Vaseline into
each end of the bullet connectors and push the bullets in fully, making sure
that the metal part of the connector ends up in the midle of the insulating
sleeve - i.e. no risk of the connector or bullet touching the bodywork.

Clean up all the body grounds particularly in the engine compartment.