Newbie Questions

To: "MG genius list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Newbie Questions
From: "Tony Sheehan" <multitech@cairns.net.au>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 01:19:14 +1000
Hi,

The missus and I are the new proud owners of a '65 MGB roadster, a daily
driving car in pretty good condition.  I have been monitoring the group for
a couple of weeks now, and I am finally game to ask a few questions myself.

There is a distinct "wander" in the steering noticeable above 45Mph.  It has
been 20 years since I mucked around with Old English cars - is this normal?
I am in awe of you that claim speeds of 100mph, I would not be game to take
this over 70.  Maybe familiarity might breed the required contempt, so to
speak.

Possibly related to above, my rear springs are giving the "bounce and a
half" shocks test, but the front ones seem far to firm.  Are the shock
absorbers due for re-conditioning, or might there be an easier way?

The passenger door needs to be lifted slightly to neatly close (other than
slamming it hard).  Would this be a hinge issue, or a striker plate issue,
and how do I tell?

The capping on the side of the windscreen is bright and shiny, but the
capping across the top seems to be a duller aluminium.  Are they both
aluminium?  Can they be polished to a decent shine?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Tony Sheehan.
Cairns, Australia.