Re: Newbie Questions

To: Tony Sheehan <multitech@cairns.net.au>
Subject: Re: Newbie Questions
From: "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 17:01:09 -0500
On Mon, May 27, 2002 at 01:19:14AM +1000, Tony Sheehan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The missus and I are the new proud owners of a '65 MGB roadster, a daily
> driving car in pretty good condition.  I have been monitoring the group for
> a couple of weeks now, and I am finally game to ask a few questions myself.
>
> There is a distinct "wander" in the steering noticeable above 45Mph.  It has
> been 20 years since I mucked around with Old English cars - is this normal?
> I am in awe of you that claim speeds of 100mph, I would not be game to take
> this over 70.  Maybe familiarity might breed the required contempt, so to
> speak.

Wander is not the norm. Having just last night finished a complete
rebuild of my front end. I can tell you that there is a night and day
difference. It's nice and tight and tracks well. Even though I don't have
a good alignment yet (I got a little messed up on my brother's method and
have to call him). I put in new kingpin's (one ceased on the bottom),
a-arms (anti-camber type), poly urethane bushes for the cross-member, a-arms
and shock to kingpins and shocks. It's like a new car. A quick test drive
it felt great, I got a bit over 70mph (what's that 110-115kph?), and it was
rock solid.

> Possibly related to above, my rear springs are giving the "bounce and a
> half" shocks test, but the front ones seem far to firm.  Are the shock
> absorbers due for re-conditioning, or might there be an easier way?

You might be able to re-fill them, but rebuilt is probably the way to
go. Conventional wisdom on the list is 30wt motorcycle fork oil. It can
breathe a bit of life into a tiired shock, apparently.

Sorry, that's all I'm experienced with at this time. My body needs work,
but mechanicals are more important at this stage.

> The passenger door needs to be lifted slightly to neatly close (other than
> slamming it hard).  Would this be a hinge issue, or a striker plate issue,
> and how do I tell?
>
> The capping on the side of the windscreen is bright and shiny, but the
> capping across the top seems to be a duller aluminium.  Are they both
> aluminium?  Can they be polished to a decent shine?
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance.
>
> Tony Sheehan.
> Cairns, Australia.

Paul.
77B

--
Paul T. Root            - CCSA, CCSE, CCNA
600 Stinson Blvd, Fl 1S         PAG: +1 (877) 693-7155