Re: Points/electronic ign.

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Points/electronic ign.
From: "Bob D." <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 15:04:07 -0500
The improvements I'm seeing with the Ignitor might be due to the worn
bushings Peter talks about. Both my B and TD have 100K+ on distributors that
have never been rebuilt. The timing mark jumped around under the strobe
light with the old points (especially on the TD). But with the Ignitor, the
pulley looks like it's frozen in place.

I don't have any figures to support this, but I'd be surprised if the
Ignitor doesn't squeeze a bit more energy and voltage out of the coil. The
condenser is a necessary evil, that the electronic ignition doesn't need.

So would an electronic ignition add-on buy you any improvement on a new
distributor? I don't know.

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
Email - bobmgtd@insightbb.com
52 MGTD - NEMGTR #11470