MGB Weekend and trying not to be a DC(urrent)O

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB Weekend and trying not to be a DC(urrent)O
From: Patton Dickson <kpdii@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 15:04:40 -0500
As has been pointed out, if appears that I have the shift lever (installed
180 out), tension spring and spring retainer from the 3 synchro
transmission. The spring and retainer sits a well and is retained by a
large circlip. The PO has used this retaining system in order to used the
early offset shift lever.   The question is?   Can I replace the hex headed
cap screws with allen/socket head cap screws and a flat washers so I can
run them down tight?    Could the PO not have really been a DPO but a
I(nnovative)PO? I really do like the way this sets up.

I got the rear bumper on and fixed the flashers yesterday.  Drove it around
the neighborhood a while.  It ran fine, shifted through all 4
gears.   There is a clunking sound coming from the front of the car when it
is moving that I can't place, it sounds like something maybe sitting in the
fenderwell.  It sounds like something hitting inside the body rhythmically
about .5 seconds apart at 30 MPH, not something in the engine.

The temp gauge continues to show movement.  When I got the car it rested on
130: when cold instead of 90:, but rose to ~ 180: to 190: with a little
driving.  A couple weeks ago it began to rest at 160:, now rests at 180:
and it rises to 212:.  That doesn't sound like there is a problem with the
bulb and sender, but the mechanical end at the gauge.  Has anyone seen this
before?  That would be nice if this is repairable.

I also stripped all the surface rust and primed with corrosion resistant
primer to keep rust under control for now .  I am playing with the idea of
going the $250 MACCO route with minimal prep to get the car looking ok from
20 feet and protecting from major rust.  In a couple of years when I have
the time and money to do a full body restoration I'll need to strip the car
to bare metal no matter what I do.

Finally I took the OEM luggage rack off and straightened it, it was missing
a bolt under the frame so I am going to go get those and the above hex nuts
and washers in a minute.

Thanks
Patton

Patton Dickson - Richmond, TX