Blowing smoke

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Blowing smoke
From: geoffeg@sin.sloth.org
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 16:13:15 -0400
Something very strange has happened to my MGB.

On the way home last night I noticed it became very hard to shift.
Eventually I had to use quite a bit of force to get it into second gear. I
also noticed that the clutch seemed very light. I just figured one of my
clutch cylnders was dying. As I turned down the street to my apartment, I
noticed that the oil pressure guage was quite low, around 25. So I shut it
off and coasted into a parking space on the side of the street. I had
remembered that the wire running to the oil pressure sensor on the engine
was in bad shape so the guage reading may have been completely wrong.

This morning I went out and checked the oil level. It was low but not
alarmingly so. Two quarts were added just to top it off. I then tested each
cylinder for compression and found 3 to be at 175, one was around 180. Since
this engine is .060 over, was rebuilt about 2000 miles ago, and has an
aluminum head, I figured that the slightly high readings were normal. Each
spark plug looked ok, all were a little blackish and one had a bit of oil on
it.

So I'm still wondering what's wrong. I can't think of one thing that would
make it hard to shift and cause oil to puff out the tailpipe. Anyone have
any suggestions?

Thanks,
Geoffeg