My British Car Week story

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: My British Car Week story
From: Aaron Whiteman <aaronw@wsu.edu>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 08:25:34 -0700
This is a story of woe.

My story starts on Monday, when I had to make the 6 hour drive back
to Pullman (from Olympia), so that I could be at work Tuesday
morning.  I wasn't dreading the drive, though I didn't want to go
back to work just yet.

It is cloudy, threatening rain, so the hood is up.  However, the
weather is supposed to improve once I am over the mountains,
changing to partly sunny with a chance of showers.  Hah.

Driving east, I discover that when I balanced my tires, the funny
vibration moved from ~50 mph to ~55.  No prizes for guessing the
average speed of traffic on WA state hwy 18.

However, all is good.  I get to I-90, and start moving along at a
more appropriate speed (~80).  I reach the top of the pass, and
start heading down, and I am greeted by rain.  A downpour really,
and it doesn't stop.  At all.

I have yet to see a British car.

About 2 hours into my journey, I smell a whiff of antifreeze.
Since I had just turned on the heat, I think nothing of it.
However, I need to stop to take a break (too much coffee earlier),
so I pull into the Indian John rest area (about 25 miles west of
Ellensburg, 200+ miles from Pullman).  When I return to the car to
check the oil, I discover a small stream of antifreeze has appeared
under my car.

My water pump died.  On a holiday.  At 3:15 PM.

The rest of that day is short.  I called my boss, he will come get
me.  Should take about 4 hours, he gets there at 8:15.  We don't
get back to Pullman until nearly 6 (yes Tuesday).

I had yet to see a British car.  I did see a Fiat on my way to work
though (I walked).

Yesterday, my new pump arrived.  I removed the radiator, the
pulley, and my water pump.  The only problem (of course!) is that
the three bolts I successfully removed are all different lengths.
This seems strange to me, but I haven't looked in a parts book to
confirm this (I am assuming the worst).  The fourth bolt sheared
off, and I will have to remove it later.  Good thing lots of heat
is available.

So, for British car week, I drove all of 2 hours, and my car has
been out of commission for the rest of the week.  Fortunately, the
week is nearly over, and next week might be better.

I did see a fine B yesterday, complete with a BMC AM radio.  I felt
bad for the car though, it was the one stuck on the street, while
the Land Rover and the Honda were parked on the drive.  I have yet
to see a British car being driven.

Oh, and to complete the week, my computer's monitor died over the
weekend too, and the warrantee expired some time ago.

Grr.

--
Aaron Whiteman -- Thoughts of graduation vaguely apply.
  My opinions are mine and do not reflect the views of the University.