Re: Volatage Stabiliser

To: "Jack Feldman" <qualitas@millenicom.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Volatage Stabiliser
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 21:49:07 -0500
At 04:16 PM 6/6/02 -0500, Jack Feldman wrote:
>What should be the output voltage of the voltage stabilizer?

It pulses on and off between full system voltage and zero volts in square
wave fashion with a controled average output of about 10 volts.  An analog
volt meeter will have a jumpy needle.  It will just drive a digital volt
meter nuts.

>Has anyone thought of a solid state circuit to take its place. I wonder if
>a zenner diode would do?

All you need is a solid state voltage regulator with a steady 10 volt
output.  Those things have been available in flat packs like a power
transistor with a metal tab for a screw to a heat sink.  Don't ask me where
to buy it, cause I'm just a lowly mechanical engineer.  Maybe Radio Shack
has it.

>I have a gas gauge that has had two new senders installed over a period of
>time, and the gauge always reads at 7/8ths full when full. The only thing
>I can think of is a voltage stabilizer that is putting out a low voltage.

Or the gauge is out of calibration.  Look on the back of the gauge for
adjustment screws.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg