Transmission Oil Dipstick and Updates

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Transmission Oil Dipstick and Updates
From: geoffeg@sin.sloth.org
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 20:52:01 -0400
First the questions, then the stories.
1) Where can I find the transmission oil dipstick? Is it directly infront of
the gear shift? I don't recall it being there. Also, what kind of oil should
I put in the tranny?
2) Where, under the hood, is the best spot to hook up the power leads for a
timing light? I'd rather avoid having to run an extra long set of wires to
the battery terminals in the back.

Well, I've been having lots of fun driving my MG around town. I've asked
some questions on the list before about the rear end being squirrelly and
when I thought the engine had died... Well, I think I figured all that out.

I had reported that I thought I had killed my engine because I had seen the
oil pressure gauge drop, smelled something sweet from the engine and had
trouble shifting. Well, it turns out it was all unrelated. My oil pressure
sensor's wire came loose and was connected with only one strand of wire,
giving a mostly false reading on the gauge. The engine was low enough on oil
that the pump couldn't keep enough oil flowing around the hard corners I was
taking. Finally, the pipe connecting the master and slave clutch cylinders
was very, very slowly leaking. Everything just happened at once. All is
fixed and happy.

As for the rear end I believe it turns out to be a combination of horribly
crappy tires and possibly bad shocks. I can't afford good tires right now
and I have to investigate the shocks more.

Also, I spotted a Yellow rubber bumper MG on I-71 near Fields Ertel road in
the Cincinnati Ohio area last week (maybe on Thursday). Anyone on the list
own it?

Thanks, and happy motoring,
Geoffeg