Radiator fan wiring (was Re: radiator mystery)- plus heater

To: "Henry D. Reynolds" <hdr@halsoft.com>
Subject: Radiator fan wiring (was Re: radiator mystery)- plus heater
From: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 07:49:26 -0500
Yes, but those are unrelated to the thermostat. Well, indirectly related
to the thermostat. The fans are turned on by a thermostatic switch that
is in the radiator on the top right. According to the Bentley (Red)
manual (I think, I was looking at everything last night), it comes on at
200F and off at about 180F.

So I was trying to de-dpo my car last night with-regards to the radiator
and heater.

The DPPO installed a puller fan to replace the two pushers, but he wired
it up to the third fuse down and put a toggle switch on the dash
(through one of the blank plates). The DPO didn't like that, as he
couldn't remember to turn the thing on and so pulled the switch out and
has the fan run all the time. The thermo switch wasn't secure and would
push out (not all the way) when warm.

I got a new switch, gasket and clip (missing) and installed that.

Question 1: Is there anyway of testing this with a ohm meter or volt
meter? I guess I have to insure that the water is 200F or better in the
rad. And that the radiator is completely full right?

Question 2: How to I get a radiator that doesn't have a cap completely
full? I filled the overflow last night, should/will the radiator suck
that in until it's full?

Question 3: The original wiring is not working. I looked at the '78
wiring diagram in Bentley and found an inline fuse. I found it under the
hood, and sure enough it was blown. I didn't have any to match the fuse
in there. It was probably a 1/4 inch longer than regular. It says 30 SFE
on the end. Is that the right fuse?

Question 4: While were on fuses. In my debugging, and wiring play, I
blew a fuse (number 3), I went to Menard's and got a 5 pack. Last night,
in my test drive, or maybe just before, I blew it again. I don't have it
here with me, but I'm thinking it was a 20amp. Is that right? Bentley
says 35 amp, which I believe the list in the past week has been saying
17 amp nominal with 35 amp burst? Something like that. Fuse 2 looks to
be the same amperage as 3, I don't remember 4, but 1 seems to be a thin
wire. This seems suspect to me.

Last night, I did a couple other things. I put my new Ebay heater fan
in. The old one had the wires clipped, so I pulled it and tested it, it
still worked, but the new fan spun faster. I was trying to test the
wiring, but it didn't seem to work. I figured it was the switch, but on
the test drive, the fan was blowing!! Cool.

I also changed the heater valve. Well, half of it. I just couldn't get a
wrench on the lower bolt, so I just took the top off the old and put the
new top I bought and modified with the washer trick from the web, and
had to do some fiddling to stop it from leaking. It seemed to work as I
was getting pretty good heat. Which, of course, is pretty important here
in June when it's finally getting up to about 80F. :-) That gives Lucas
plenty of time to break it before fall. :-)

This is getting long. Sorry.

Paul.

--
Paul T. Root                    E/Mail: proot@iaces.com
600 Stinson Blvd, Fl 1S         PAG: +1 (877) 693-7155