Re: Help! Cylinder Head

To: "Charles & Peggy Robinson" <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Subject: Re: Help! Cylinder Head
From: "Chris Chandler" <barak@voyager.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 10:55:35 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "Charles & Peggy Robinson" <ccrobins@ktc.com>
>  Since it sound like $$ isn't an issue:

Heh, I wish!

That being said however, I have several mechanic friends, a lot with their
own equipment at home like valve grinders, etc. so I can get it done anywhere
from cheap to free.

> Take the head to a good machine
> shop and have it magnafluxed to see if it has an crackes in it.  If it's

Hmm, I forgot, I've got a head that's been magnafluxed and the whole nine
yards.  it's supposed to go on a rebuilt engine that's been stalled for
funding... maybe I'll use that one and get this other one done later if I
ever get that rebuild going again.

Were the heads all the same throughout production? I seem to recall reading
somewhere that was the case, but I don't remember for certain.

>   While the head is off you might consider a ring and rod bearing job.
> That oil in the cylinders is coming from _somewhere_, maybe worn rings.

Shows how much I know.  I thought that required removing the engine!  :P

I guess I'll go home a read up on it.  ;)

> How much of a ridge at the top of the cylinders?

I'll have to check when I get home.  What's good/medium/bad?

Thanks for the assistance.

Chris