Re: MGB pinion bearing spacer

To: "Allen Hess" <allenhess@mac.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGB pinion bearing spacer
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 15:34:05 +0100
MGOC still list it as NLA, which makes me wonder how axle rebuilders get on.
But if you measure the torque needed to turn the pinion before dismantling
you can use this figure to reassemble.  The torque should be between 4 and 6
lb INCHES.  But if the original torque was more than this then retighten to
the original figure.  If the original torque was less than this retighten to
the recommended figure.  This is given in the Workshop Manual in the section
'replacing the pinion oil seal'.  But in the section on differential and
pinion dismantling and reassembly it talks about a pre-load of 14 to 18 lb
INCHES.