Re: no oil

To: Mgbbob@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: no oil
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 04:50:49 -0500
At 12:28 AM 6/21/02 -0400, Bob Stahlbush wrote:
>.... complete rebuild of engine .... 66 B .... seemed awfully noisy on th
>etop end. .... NO OIL on the shaft. .... When I blow air into the hole I
>get nothing. I suspect a blockage somewhere in the block.  A check of the
>oil scvhematic shows that the rocker is fed through the cam
>bearing.......could this be so???

Yes, it's true.

Oil flows from the oil filter into the main oil gallery, and from there to
the crankshaft main bearings, and from there to the cam bearings.  Oil from
the rear cam bearing flows up through a vertical drill hole in the block,
through the head gasket into the head.  Still going upwards it passes
through a drilling in the rear rocker shaft pedestal to fill the hollow
rocker shaft and feed oil to the rocker arms.

Now the likely problem is that if the rear cam bearing is installed in the
wrong orientation it can block the oil passsage to the cylinder
head.  Bummer.  Engine shops usually know about this, but sometimes it
slips by.  Whenever new cam bearings are installed, the experienced
assembler will (should) always run a wire down through the oil hole from
the top of the block into the rear cam journal to verify that the passage
is clear into the cam bearing.  This should actually be part of the job of
installing the cam bearings, so you might well blame it on the machine shop.

Now the bad news is that I don't know anyone who is contortionist enough to
R&R the rear cam bearing without removing the engine to remove the
crankshaft.  You wouldn't necessarily have to remove the pistons from the
bores, but just about everything else has to come apart to get to the cam
bearings.

Does anyone else know of any shortcut here?

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg