fuel pump pressure

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: fuel pump pressure
From: gc <litfuse@isp01.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 12:04:34 -0400
Gradually I am going from most likely to less likely causes for vapor lock
symptoms.
(i.e., low power and lumpy running after 1/4 mile (consistently!) after
being parked a short while while hot on a hot day.)
I've had this problem since swappng to dual HIF carbs.
I've come to suspect fuel delivery pressure is less than fuel vapor
pressure at under-the-bonnet temperatures.  I now have a
ridiculously long fuel line under there:  why the front carb was chosen for
the fuel inlet baffles me.
Anyway,  about the fuel pump spec: my manual sez 4 ft. of pressure  for an
s.u fuel pump... well... being a chemistry teacher
and engineer I think that means 4 ft of water, which my slide rule
ultimately converts to 1.8 psig.  Does that sound right?  Seems low to me.
I'm going to go check mine now, if I can find my long neglected gauge...
Thanks
Gary Cook