Re: .optimistic news....follow up

To: Hans Duinhoven <h.duinhoven@planet.nl>
Subject: Re: .optimistic news....follow up
From: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 19:11:45 -0500
Hi Hans,

  Here's a history:  I bought my '69 B roadster for $1800 from a local
guy in my little town of Kerrville, TX.
It was a good looking car that ran well but it had no tonneau cover, the
top was shot and it needed new tires due to dry rot.  So I bought the
stuff it needed and drove it for about a year.  Then it broke some rings
while on a freeway.

  So, to make a long story short, I rebuilt the engine, clutch and
driveline, installed an OD tranny, rebuilt the front end, had the rust
damage to the right-hand dogleg fixed, with new metal welded in and had
it painted.  Also put in a new windshield and seals.  Oops, put in new
rear springs, too.  I did all the mechanical labor, farmed out the body
work.

  Now, I was lucky in that George Merryweather was still offering a 25%
discount from Moss prices and no shipping charges.  Those days are gone,
sadly.  The upshot is that I have about $6500 in the car.  I'd have at
least double that if I'd had to farm out the mechanical labor.  So,
we're looking at at least $13K for a presentable daily driver if the
owner can't do a lot of the work.

  Now, what's my car worth? I used $6K when I talked to Haggerty.  They
thought that was reasonable.  I'd never get $6K for it here in my little
town.  Might get $4K for it down in San Antonio.  Probably couldn't sell
it in Florida or California because it has been desmogged.  Anyway, the
engine is a mix of 18GV, 18GH and 18GB parts.  It runs super, looks
great and is our best road car at this time.  Good thing I don't want to
part with it!

  As you can see, value is relative.  As you might remember from my past
posts, I bought a '76 1500 Midget that had been DPO'd to death although
it had a sound engine and tranny.  I worked on it sporadically for
almost a year, put new tires on it and sold it.  I almost doubled my
money if you figure my labor is free. So, one more LBC has been put back
on the road for over a year and the lady who bought it from me is happy
as a clam.   Everybody won!!!  She got a nice little Convertible to
toodle around town in, I got my $$ back out of it, plus some
satisfaction and another LBC is back on the road!!!!

  So, you tell me:  What are these cars worth?

  Cheers,

   CR