Re: TD Heat shield / Vapor Lock

To: "Dave and Liz DuBois" <ddubois@sinclair.net>
Subject: Re: TD Heat shield / Vapor Lock
From: "Bob D." <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 22:12:04 -0500
Dave:

    Thanks for the info. This sounds exactly like what's happening to my
car! I wonder if anyone has tried to fit an electric fan to a TD. As in some
modern cars, it could be set up to run with the ignition off (until the
engine has cooled down a bit). Wouldn't this be effective against vapor
lock?  But, maybe an electric fan would be a little too much for the dynamo
to handle.

I bet louvers on the top of the bonnet would be a great help. That way,
after parking, there would be a natural flow of air upwards across the
engine. The down side would be rain getting in.

I like the theory of "reformulated fuel" causing the vapor lock. Surely, MG
would have equipped our cars with heat shields as original equipment, if
vapor lock had been this bad in the old days! Hey, maybe someone could
invent a fuel additive to prevent vapor lock.

One more thought, I've always had the impression that the XPAG/XPEG engine
is one BIG hunk of cast iron (for 1250cc) in a relatively small engine bay.
It seems to take forever to cool down. Maybe the sheer mass of the engine is
contributing to vapor lock.

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
Email - bobmgtd@insightbb.com
52 MGTD - NEMGTR #11470