one for the road

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: one for the road
From: dave houser <mgs4dave@warwick.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 15:13:58 -0400
Well, folks, as I sit here, hardly able to contain myself with this tale
I'm sure you'll appreciate, with a large beer in hand to boot!
I called for a wrecker to take away a 67 GT I offered many times to the
list as well as in newspapers,etc. No takers? Couldn't believe it.
Finally, after promising my wife it would be gone before we head off to
Nova Scotia for a T event, the wrecker arrives and we start lining up
the car after he backed up my driveway. Notice the operable word here is
"up".
He hooked up to the front crossmember tow hole and began to tow it to
the flatbed. My job was to block the rear wheels once things got moving.
Well, things got moving real fast and I placed my blocks under the rear
wheel to no avail. The car was sitting(here's that word again) uphill to
my neighbors back deck. I was amazed that I was not able to hold on to
my old friend and bring it to a halt. It wanted one last ride and the
target was the 4 upright supports on my aformentioned neighbors deck.
There is a tree line between the property but the GT was having none of
that. It missed them and went right between to pine trees as if they
were gymkhana cones, on it's mission downhill. The tow truck kid was
screaming at me to watch out for the quickly tightening cable I was
unaware of in my haste in being pulled along behind the car. Suddenly,
the cable went taut and stopped the car still on the downhill lawn
through the trees with target dead ahead. Boy, did I breathe a sigh of
relief. That could have been a very costly junker! Fortunately , my
neighbor and family were inside and missed the excitement but I did ask
if he minded if I steered the car off the lawn and into the road at the
front of the houses. The tow truck guy moved the flatbed into the circle
down below and got the last ride. And with one flat tire was almost
able to run it up the flatbed on the speed he had going!
He told me he had car's determined to take one last joyride before, so
maybe it's something they do given the right circumstances.
Well, I'm in one piece, the back yard is back to it's original state
once again and I'm gonna finish this beer and maybe one other, too.
Be careful out there!
Cheers,
Dave Houser