RE: Huge MG sign on eBay

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Huge MG sign on eBay
From: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 14:24:24 -0500
> One quick note on Trademark in the US for those of you who
> don't know. The
> way US Trademark law is written, the trademark owner is
> compelled to defend
> their trademark vigorously, or lose it. If someone can prove that a
> trademark owner knew of a violation and did nothing, the

However, in order to be in violation of a trademark, there must be a
substantial risk of consumer confusion.  So a person displaying this sign in
their garage, on their barn, etc. is not likely to make a consumer think
it's a MG dealer or service department.

Now, if you run a car repair business and hung the sign up outside, you
might have problems, as it could give the outward appearance that you were
somehow related to the company, hence, a risk of consumer confusion.

Trademark law is actually amongst the most sane of our IP laws.  The main
problems in IP are the insane patents being granted, and the ever expanding
Disney, er, copyright laws.