computer problem-NO LBC CONTENT

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: computer problem-NO LBC CONTENT
From: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 21:17:01 -0500
Wanted:
Computer Expert. Will pay millions of dollars.......

I've tried several times to run ScanDisk (it's been 174 days) and I keep
getting a error message something like "Scan disk has restarted 10 times. Some
other program is trying to write to your computer. Close programs and retry".
I've closed everything but Windows and no luck.
Can I start up in DOS mode and then run Scan Disk. If so, once I'm in DOS what
do I type to get it to run ScanDisk on my C drive? As you can probably see,
I'm computer illiterate unless it involves only turning it on ;)

I'm trying to remedy a slow computer, and one that keeps doing weird things.
Under MY Computer, System Properties it only shows 28% free (with Outlook
Express running and 33% with it shut down), but under My Computer, Local Disc
"C" it shows 27.9 GB capacity and only 7 GB have been used

Suggestions to improve performance that a novice can tackle?

Thanks,

Monte Morris, Kahoka, MO
          79B, Carmine
          67B, BRG with dreamy suspension