Re: Period performance (different perspective)

To: "Brinkman, Gerardo V" <GB127167@exchange.DAYTONOH.NCR.com>,
Subject: Re: Period performance (different perspective)
From: "Rick Lindsay" <ROLindsay@Emeraldgrc.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 09:23:01 -0500
Hey all,
   Gerardo wrote,

> I grew up in the UK in the '60s and '70s and quite definitely the
> MGB was considered a sports car in Europe.

   I grew up in Northern Kentucky.  There, in the 60's, we called
any convertible two-seater a 'sports car'.  We never solved the
riddle of how then, a GT-6 could be a sports car too!
   As for the engine size, here in the U.S., we have never been taxed
based upon engine displacement -- not in my memory, anyway.  We
have a 'luxury tax' that applies to expensive cars.  I think that is
phasing
out.  Never was much of an issue for me.  :-\
   I believe the proper name for the convertible e-type, at least from
the factory, was an OTS, or Open Two Seater.  I sadly have to admit
that I don't know what a 'tourer' is.  The open MGB?  As I recall,
in the UK, a 'roadster' didn't have a top, as we call it, but was
restricted
to two seats.  A 'drop head' coupe' was a coupe with a convertible top.
A saloon = sedan, estate = shooting brake = station wagon...and on
and on...

   Hey!  Tomorrow's Friday!

rick