Re: Period performance (different perspective)

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Period performance (different perspective)
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 13:35:51 -0700
I believe the Camaro/Firebird was actually a new platform for GM. Not that
that makes it a sports car...

But while I more or less sympathize with your views, I have to point out
that your strict definition eliminates almost every sports car in the world
designed after the mid-eighties... Honda 2000, MR2, Miata, Corvette, Z3,
Porsche cabriolets, Boxsters, Ferrari Spyders... unless you are willing to
admit all the other items except for the automatic transmission.

Personally, I don't mind all that stuff on a luxury tourer -- I just wish it
wasn't mandatory on supposedly low-end sports cars like the Miata. It just
helps keep the base price out of reach of a lot of people. Plus, weight is
the enemy! And it's just more stuff to break when the car is 25 years old
(actually, I wonder how many of these high-tech wonders will still be
roadworthy in 25 or 30 years?).

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149