Re: Positive ground fuel pump

To: <mg-dennis@mindspring.com>, "Max Heim" <mvheim@attbi.com>
Subject: Re: Positive ground fuel pump
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 15:48:51 +0100
'Early' (including my 73) pumps had capacitor quenching which is not
polarity sensitive.  At some point (reputedly in 1977 when the
identification changed to AZXnnnn) diode quenching was introduced which *is*
polarity sensitive and incorrect connection will result in damaged wiring
and/or a blown diode.  If the diode blows it will stop any further damage to
the wiring, the pump should operate, but the contacts will burn.  AZX pumps
are available in negative and positive ground configurations, the
positive-ground electrics end is sealed with red tape and negative ground
with black.  Having said that it is a relatively easy matter to reverse the
diode and hence reverse the polarity of the pump, definitely a better idea
than reversing the wiring to the pump itself.  Square riggers had pumps with
no quenching and it was part of the routine maintenance schedule to remove
and clean or replace the contacts.  Good job the pumps were accessible.