Engine dies often

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Engine dies often
From: Marc <smarc@abs.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 18:08:36 -0400
Hello All -

Sage advice needed!

My 80 B seems to have a problem. I'm pretty sure it's electrical
in nature. Often, the motor just dies - no sputtering or any thing. It
could be idling, or at speed. It will usally restart after a few
moments.

I've changed the dist cap and rotor. I noticed the lead that goes
from the CEI to the dist pickup was a bit funky. Seems that it
was a mis-matched connector that someone had just forced
together. I replaced it with a proper connector.

I've checked all the connectors to the CEI and they are clean and
tight. I've ordered a new set of wires, but in the meantime have
verified that they are also clean and tight, especially from the
coil to the dist cap. Same with the wires to the coil.

Wondering if I should be replacing the coil as well???

I'm going to change the fuel filter as well, since I have a new
one and it's time anyway.

On the bright side, the problem is becoming more frequent, maybe
the bad component will die altogether and make it easier to find!

I hope to nail it down soon, I'm supposed to go on vacation starting next
Wednesday (to the ocean!) & I was hoping to drive this car there!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...
--
Marc Siegel, ABSnet Internet Services  eMail: smarc@abs.net
Baltimore, MD  http://www.abs.net      voice: 410/361-8160