Re: Brake Master Cylinder

To: GLOtterbein@YoungInds.com
Subject: Re: Brake Master Cylinder
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 10:38:20 -0400
  It's said that the MC can be changed with the mounting bracket in
place, but I have never been able to do it. But good news is that you can
leave the clutch MC connected to the bracket as there is enough length of
line to give you the movement you need to get the brake MC out and in.
   The screws for the cover are Posidrive, not Phillips. Since they tend
to be well stuck in place, start with the right tool to minimise damage.
Put some penetrating oil on them a couple of days before you want to work
on it.
   Last time I did the MC deed, I put a piece of that thin bubble-wrap
(used to wrap glassware) as a gasket underneath the bracket. With slits
in it to allow movement of the pedals, but closing off most of the
rectangular area, it reduces the draught a lot.  That will be
advantageous in wintertime, but it has also proved to be of benefit
during this summer weather.  Air passing through that opening is warmed
by the engine, so less hot air is better than more.  Another benefit is a
slight reduction in engine noise inside the cabin of the GT.
Bob