Re: fuse box (was Re: Weirdo electrical problem)

To: proot@iaces.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: fuse box (was Re: Weirdo electrical problem)
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 16:26:08 EDT
In a message dated 8/21/02 3:21:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time, proot@iaces.com
writes:

> So I see one of those "modern" fuse boxes converted
> for use on a MGB on eBay right now for like $28 (no
> bids). It's got 6 fuses.
>
> What are the general thoughts on these things?
>
> I'm having no trouble with my fuse box currently, just
> mostly curious.

- - - - - - - - - - -

What a deal!  I think mine was about 11 bucks at Pep Boys.  There is no
conversion to the fuse block.  Just drill new mounting holes and figure out
what circuits you want on which fuse.  The standard spade connectors fit
right on the new block.  I added a coupla multiple connectors to accomodate
things.

The advantage is that ATO fuses are plastic and won't break as easily, they
are readily available, and there are circuit breakers available as well.  You
will also find that the contacts that clip the fuses in place are less prone
to loosening and corrosion.

If you keep your Lucas fuse block clean and you have a good cover for it (my
cover was missing), you will be fine with it.  If you have extra electrical
equipment, like driving lights, a big sound amplifier, or whatever, more
fuses is a better way to go.

You can also put the regular headlights on a fuse.  Now THAT would be
something different in an MG!

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget