The 'Shocking' Saga Continues - but I've 'Rebounded'....

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: The 'Shocking' Saga Continues - but I've 'Rebounded'....
From: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 14:28:55 -0700 (PDT)
Ok, the latest udate, if anyone is still interested....

Rebound straps are back on and secured! Thanks for all of the suggestions
re: the messed-up stud-like substance. I was able to fit a nut onto the
end of the stud and it is secure.

Now to the shock link - I was working on the attachment point to the
damper arm. The difficulty is two-fold - totally rusted nut - the washer
and nit appear to have been fused into one lump - and the fact that the
damper arm moves when trying to put any muscle on the nut! But I cam to
the conclusion that the nut wasn't going to come off. So out with the
trust Dremel, and off it comes. Unfortunately, the rust has made it's way
inside the damper arm - the hole that the upper link bolt passes through -
as well. So, the thought of popping that out once the nut was gone is gone
as well. Getting heat on that area is difficult, with gas and brake lines
running within a few inches of the damper arm...

So, as suggested by one lister (sorry, forgot whom it was...), I have
removed the entire shock and now have that filthy unit sitting on my
workbench while I soak the rusted bolt in PB Blaster overnight....
Surprisingly enough, the shock came off fairly easily.... (I know we
recently discussed which brush to use to clean small parts; did we discuss
an actual cleaner??)

While I was under there, I adjusted my hand-brake.

This has actually been a fun project so far, but I've been accused of
being a masochist before.............!

Thanks to everyone who has responded publicly and privately to my many
questions. I think I am close to end of job and am REALLY looking forward
to driving again!

=====
Dan DiBiase
The Garden State (What Exit?)