Re: MGA Coupe Racer

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGA Coupe Racer
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 17:58:17 -0700
on 8/23/02 9:27 PM, WSpohn4@aol.com at WSpohn4@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 8/23/02 8:21:09 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:
>
>> I guess body stiffness doesn't count for anything on a body-and-frame car?
>
> Very little, if any.

No disagreement here...

>> On the other hand, a BGT should be massively stiffer than a B roadster, and
>> have decent aerodynamics (if slightly more frontal area), so it seems like
>> a reasonable choice.
>>
> A lot more frontal area, if you remove the windshield on the convertible (a
> roadster has sidecurtains, a convertible, which the MGB is, has wind-up
> windows.)

IF you remove the windscreen, which you would only do on a race-only
vehicle. Eric and Larry, to cite two examples on this list, have
dual-purpose street and track cars. I obviously was referring to the
windshield being in place.

And I am going to have to dispute your calling the MGB tourer a convertible.
A convertible has a permanently attached top which folds down. This only
applies to certain MGBs. If you insist that roadsters don't have side
windows (and I have to agree that is the classic definition), then we need
another term to describe the packaway hood Bs. Perhaps "tourer" is it.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149