Re:MGA Coupe Racer

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:MGA Coupe Racer
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 00:44:38 EDT
In a message dated 8/23/02 8:21:09 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> I've not been around MG coupes, are they really heavier? In american
> iron the convertibles are heavier than the coupes due to the additional
> steel they need to put in the frame to keep the car stiff without the top.

An MGA 1600 roadster weighs about 2050 on the street with fluids.
A Twincam is a good hundred pounds more.
A coupe weighs about half way in between - it has all the extra glass and
steel for the roof, and for racing, you can only remove the side windows - on
the roadster you remove the sidescreens, top, and windshield.

And MGB weighs about the same as the A. You see some lighter weights in old
tests (as you do for the MGA), but it ain't true.
An MGB GT weighs around 225 more than the B, and as a result, while the MGA
coupe had a slightly higher top speed than the roadster, the GT was no
faster, and by most tests was actually slower than the convertible B.

Race weights for MGA and MGB are usually in the 1850 - 1900 range, depending
on what is taken out and what is put back in (A rollcage makes up for a lot
of removed doorglass etc.)

I'd talk about my wife's  MGC, but weights on those are depressing!

Bill