Re: Driving philosophies

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Driving philosophies
From: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 11:08:52 -0400
In Boston they ignore the lights altogether (the lights are merely
suggestions).

However, for a real experience, try a developing country.  I had the most
interesting driving (rather, passenger) experience riding in cabs in
Kathmandu (Nepal).  This was around 1990.  Cars and people are just all
over the road - walking, driving - no real order, more like a city sidewalk
in terms of traffic - not even counting the cows, and the trick is to go
real fast and lay on the horn.  Driving on the sidewalk is okay if it gets
you around something.  That said, I never actually saw an accident take
place, though it would stagger my imagination to think that they
don't.  And given the kamikaze driving styles and what I'm sure are some
dubious levels of safety equipment, I think the only explanation is that if
an accident does occur that the rest of the traffic just drives right over
the victims.

Note: No offence to the Nepali people, who are some of the nicest in the
world.  It's just that their driving itself could use a little improvement.