Re: What's the Diff?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: What's the Diff?
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 14:31:00 EDT
In a message dated 26/08/02 11:10:33 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> The rear was
> a completely new, from scratch, setup designed to bolt up directly into an
> MGB, and take the Diff from some small british car.
>
> The reviewer in the magazine drove an MGB GT with a 4.6L v8 conversion and
> both the front and rear setups from Trevor Taylor. He remarked at how
> incredibly well it handled the power, and stuck to the road like glue.

A live axle MG can handle very well indeed, if the motion of said axle is
properly controlled (in everything but the up-down plane). In fact on a
smooth track, having the live axle is very little, if any, detriment.

On a bumpy track, there is no doubt that the IRS will accomodate much better.

I have not found any significant difference in ultimate cornering power
between my MGA (well controlled) live axle and my TVR which is basically an
all-independent suspension sports racer, as long as the track is fairly
smooth.

Bill
(PS - TVR for sale - 1700 lbs. crossflow head, twin Webers, magnesium wheels,
close ratio trans, step right up ;-)