Re: Question about "Redline" could be off topic /

To: Ajhsys@aol.com
Subject: Re: Question about "Redline" could be off topic /
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 13:38:15 -0500
What kind of protection do you want?  Freeze or corrosion?
Read on.

<<<snip>>>
In other words, don't use a higher concentration of
antifreeze to water than
you need for freezing protection in the area where you keep
your car.
<<<snip>>>
Coolant will not freeze solid no matter what the temp if it
contains about 25% antifreeze.  I am working on a test to
determine the lowest concentration right now.

On the farm we used to put about 2 quarts in large tractor
systems that wouldn't be used over winter.  In the 50's
antifreeze was very expensive.  One reasoning for using the
two quarts was to keep corrosion down, and 2 so we had
coolant in case we forgot to refill an empty system in the
spring.  These amounts never froze solid.

Low concentrations of glycol will turn to slush and the
water pump can't pump them.  But the coolant NEVER freezes
up solid.

A 30% glycol solution is good for 0 F.  Anything higher
lowers the heat transfer rate even though the boiling point
is raised.  You loose ground at anything over 30%.  Those
with very low or un-pressurized systems, are ahead if you
use 30% or less glycol.

What about corrosion?  You change more often as the cost of
the coolant for a yearly 30% change is now about the same as
a 50% change bi-yearly.  Or, and this is what I do, add just
the inhibitors.
--
Blake
NAMGAR Technical Reprint Provider