Re: torque wrenches

To: skye@ffwd.cx, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: torque wrenches
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 15:15:31 EDT
In a message dated 8/27/02 2:35:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time, skye@ffwd.cx
writes:

> I have a cheapo Craftsmen deflection type torque wrench, you know with
> the shaft that bends and the needle measures the deflection...
>
> How accurate are these?
>
> If not accurate, what kind should I get?  P/N?
> Do you have to calibrate them every couple of years?  etc

- - - - - - - - - - -

AFAIK the beam type torque wrenches are very accurate.  As long as the
pointer points to zero when at rest, it should not need calibration.  I have
a 3/8" beam type and a 1/2" microtorq (or however you spell it!  It clicks
when you reach the proper torque).  Both Craftsman.  The beam type has a
lifetime warranty.  The clicker HAD a one-year warranty.  That tells you
something.

They recommend the clicker wrench be sent in for calibration once a year if
used frequently.  They also say to make sure it is reset to zero when you are
done using it.  The springs get stretched if you leave it set at a torque
setting for too long.

I would have bought the beam type in 1/2" if I knew the clicker only had a
one-year warranty.  I borrowed a beam type from a friend B4 I bought one.  He
had used it as a breaker bar (smart!) and bent the pointer.  I took it back
to Sears, they gave me a brand new one, and I used it and gave it back to my
friend.  That is still a great deal, even if Craftsman is going to the dogs!

For more on tools, you should join the shop-talk list on team.net.  A great
bunch of knowledgable people there.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget